Hearing Tests for Adults
AudioLogic Hearing provide diagnostic hearing assessments for adults including private patients, pension cardholders, DVA cardholders, WorkCover, TAC, pre-employment hearing tests, industrial hearing tests, police hearing tests and pilot/aviation hearing tests.
Hearing assessments include:
- Case history and otoscopic examination
- Pure tone audiometry (air and bone conduction testing with masking as required)
- Speech audiometry (speech discrimination testing)
- Impedance testing (tympanometry – test of the middle ear function)
- Hearing aid evaluation (if applicable)
- Tinnitus counselling (if applicable)
- Communication training (if applicable)
The Audiologist will interpret the assessment findings and report on the audiological diagnosis, which will indicate:
- Degree of hearing loss (mild, moderate, severe or profound)
- Type of hearing loss (conductive, sensorineural, mixed, processing)
- Configuration of hearing loss (the range of sounds affected)
- Site of lesion (outer ear, middle ear, inner ear)
The test results will be discussed along with audiological treatment options (hearing devices etc) and if there is a need for referral to a medical or surgical specialist. A report will be sent to the referring doctor.
Audiological services may be funded by:
- Medicare (Enhanced Primary Care Plan arranged by your GP)
- Government Hearing Services Program (for eligible pensioners/DVA cardholders)
- The National Disability Insurance Scheme
- Private Health Funds (with extras which include hearing aids and initial consultations)
Retail outlets that primarily sell hearing devices and are owned by companies with close links to the hearing device industry often advertise "free" hearing assessments. Free assessments need not be carried out by qualified professionals as no regulatory restrictions apply. Assessments for the purpose of selling hearing devices may not be equivalent to a clinical assessment of auditory function.
Click here to make an appointment at AudioLogic Hearing or call 03 9754 4162.